New York State Education Law Section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and nonpublic pre-k, elementary, intermediate and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year.
The Tri-Valley Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation; faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications.
The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- A school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72-hours following an application
- Anti-microbial products
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Silica gels and other nonvolatile ready to use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate
- The application of EPA designated biopesticides
- The application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees wasps and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health , a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
If you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in your school, please submit a written request for 48-hour notification to Jesse Bell, Tri-Valley Central School District, pesticide representative, 34 Moore Hill Road, Grahamsville, NY 12740.
Please be sure to include the following information in your request:
- Your name
- Your student’s name
- The school building your child attends
- Your address
- Daytime phone number
- Evening phone number
- Email address
For more information, contact Jesse Bell, Tri-Valley Central School District Pesticide representative, at 34 Moore Hill Road, Grahamsville, NY 12740, telephone 845-985-2296, ext. 5317 or FAX 845-985-2502.