Health Services

Tri-Valley’s school nurses help keep our students safe and healthy.

When to Keep Students Home

If your child has any of these symptoms they should stay home until the symptoms subside or their doctor says it is okay to return. When in doubt, consult your child’s doctor or call the school nurse.

    • Fever in the past 24 hours.
    • Vomiting or diarrhea in the past 24 hours
    • Strep (must be on an antibiotic for 24 hours before returning to school).
    • Bad cold with a very runny nose, especially if the nasal discharge is discolored.
    • Has a cough that has kept the child awake at night
    • Eye redness or “crust” may be “pink eye.”

Hand Hygiene and Using Hand Sanitizer

Hand washing for 30 seconds with warm soapy water is the best way to clean hands and reduce illness. If this is not available, alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used.

In school, the use of hand sanitizers will be done under adult supervision. Staff will be trained when to report concerns to the school nurse.

Please share this information with your child:

    • A dime-size amount of hand sanitizer is all that is needed
    • Rub over the hands until the gel is dry
    • Keep hands off the face, eyes, nose, or mouth until the hand sanitizer is dry
    • If they have cuts on their hands or feel stinging, stop using the sanitizer and tell their teacher
    • Hand sanitizers do not remove allergens. Handwashing with soap and warm water is needed.
    • If you do not want your child to use hand sanitizer, please submit a written request.

Student Screenings and Health Exams

In July 2018, New York issued an updated Health Examination Form that parents and doctors should use. The NYS School Health Examination Form is available here. Visit the Health Screenings for Students Entering Pre-K, Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, & 11 page for more information.

Medical professionals are expected to complete the form when doing physical exams for students entering a new school and:

    • Students entering PreK, kindergarten, and grades 1, 3, 5,7, 9 and 11
    • Students who play interscholastic sports
    • Students requesting working papers
    • Students who require them by their Committee on Special Education or Committee on Pre-School Education. The form may be printed and completed by hand, or completed electronically by saving it to a computer, entering information into the fillable fields and saving a copy. Please bring it with you to your student’s next physical exam so it can be completed during the appointment.

Vision Screening

The NYS Education Department requires vision screenings for students in grades PreK or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11 as well as newly enrolled students within six months of admission to the school who did not have a vision screening noted on their health certificate.

A teacher may also refer a student for vision screening.

Dental Health

In Sullivan County, one organization provides free or low cost dental care:

    • The PRASAD Children’s Dental Health Program, a mobile clinic and school-based health center, visits local schools and provides dental health education and preventive and restorative dental services so parents don’t need to take time off from work or drive anywhere. PRASAD also has an office in Liberty and a Spanish/English bilingual staff. Learn more on PRASAD’s website.


New York State Public Health Law requires that schools not permit a child to attend school unless the school receives proof from a physician, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant that the child is in the process of receiving or has received the required immunizations.

Your child needs these immunizations to register at Tri-Valley and will not be permitted to attend school without the necessary immunizations.

The record must be from your health care provider, health department, or an official copy of the immunization record from the child’s previous school. The dates each immunization must be included in the record.

For more information about New York immunization requirements, visit the Department of Health website.


Medication administration in school requires a written order from a licensed prescriber along with written parental permission. All medications (prescription and over-the-counter) must adhere to these guidelines. Medication must be brought in by a parent in the original container.

Students are not allowed to bring medication to school. This includes over-the-counter medications.

Under certain circumstances, health care providers may request that a student carry and self-administer medication. This requires a specific request by the health care provider and must show that the student has been instructed in and understands the purpose and appropriate method of administration and frequency of use.

Body Mass Index

New York State requires schools to track each student’s body mass index (BMI) and weight status category as part of school health examinations. Every year, the New York State Department of Health surveys some schools for the number of students in each of six possible weight status categories. If the Tri-Valley Central School District is surveyed by the state, the district will share summary group data only and will not share individual names or information. Parents/guardians who wish to exclude their child’s data from the summary group calculations must contact the district office at (845) 985-2296.